The Town of Cornelius is searching for an experienced professional to manage and execute the overall communications strategy to ensure that all work being done on behalf of the Town continues to enhance the Town’s mission, vision and core values as set by the Mayor and Board of Commissioners.
- Use various communication channels, including but not limited to e-newsletters, news releases and articles, videos, social media posts, and brochures and flyers to educate and inform Town citizens of Town projects and other relevant information and to create and maintain a positive image of the Town
- Lead collaboration efforts to streamline communications and public relations efforts and ensure a consistent message and voice
- Create content for and distribute monthly Town e-newsletter, Cornelius Crossroads
- Plan regular events to offer opportunities for residents to connect with elected officials and Town staff
- Grow media relationships to positively promote the Town and accurately inform its residents
- Build intentional relationships with community partners and civic organizations, attending meetings and functions to promote the Town’s services and gain feedback on how to improve
- Actively engage the Town’s diverse constituent base using social media channels in relevant ways
- Maintain and update the Town website; coordinate development of the website with vendors as necessary
- Develop and implement citizen feedback opportunities through survey and reporting tools
- Enhance internal communications efforts to ensure all part-time and full-time employees are well-versed and informed
- Expand employee engagement opportunities to develop and strengthen Town culture
- Produce monthly internal e-newsletter, The Town Holler
Strategic Planning & Department Support
- Coordinate the development and implementation of an annual comprehensive communications plan, to include opportunities to engage feedback from the Town residents across all platforms
- Continue to develop and promote the Town’s “voice” and brand through all communications
- Support Town Manager and all Town Departments’ with the research, writing, design and production of internal and external communication materials, including board presentations, event flyers, news releases, and audiovisual materials
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Considerable knowledge of and experience with:
- The principles and practices of journalism and marketing
- Municipal organization and functions
- Grammar, punctuation, editing, layout, and related skills
- Current relevant desktop publishing, photography, graphic design, including current and relevant software
- Presentation and publications software, web authoring software,and related information technology tools for marketing and public relations and communications.
- Customer service and relationship building
- Ability to write, edit and communicate clearly and create a positive and professional image of Town and office.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making decisions in conformance with Town policies, state and federal laws related to the release of public information.
- Ability to communicate effectively in conversations, public presentations, and written form.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected and appointed officials, department heads, employees, citizens, and all media.
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately
- Ability to work under pressure and with time-sensitive projects
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, talk, listen, use hands to feel or operate objects, and reach with hands and arms. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The employee may be required to push, pull, lift and carry 25 pounds. Work involves operating a motorized vehicle.
Education and Experiential Requirements:
- Minimum requirements for the position include a Bachelor’s degree with coursework in Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or a related field. Prefer experience in communications and/or public relations. Local government and graphic design experience is a plus.
- The employee works under the direction of the Town Manager and may require some television and radio exposure. Work involves contact with the public, Town officials, and Town staff. Must possess a valid driver's license. Notes: driving, credit, and criminal background checks required, along with a post-offer drug-screen.
Expected Work Hours:
- Hours may range from 20 to 30 a week, both in and out of the office, primarily during the day; however, evening and weekend hours, as needed. The rate for this position will range from $22 to $25 an hour, depending upon qualifications and experience.
Application Deadline: August 30, 2019 or until filled.