After School at the Huntersville Recreation Center is FUN! After School Program assistants will lead K – 5th grade students in activities/games/crafts and assist students with homework. The afterschool program assistant needs to be available Monday – Friday from 2:00pm – 6:00pm. This position will work under the supervision of the Recreation Assistant and Recreation Coordinator. There will be an opportunity to work full days when the kids are out of school for teacher workdays.
Essential Duties of the Position
- Organize court/multipurpose room and materials before kids arrive each day.
- Plan and lead snack time, group activities and assist with homework as needed.
- Actively participate with the children supervising their conduct, discipline and safety.
- Follow proper check in/out procedures, communicate with parents at pick up.
- Notifies supervisor of accidents, incidents, disciplinary actions and other circumstances of concern and fills out necessary forms for documentation as needed.
- Performs other duties as apparent or assigned.
Minimum Required Education and Experience
General knowledge of childcare practices and techniques; general knowledge of children’s developmental and social growth expectations and needs; some knowledge of health, safety and first aid practices, methods and techniques; skill in working with children; ability to establish and maintain standards of behavior; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with parents; associates and program participants.
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing and repetitive motions, frequently reaching with hands and arms and occasionally requires standing and walking; work requires close vision, depth perception and color perception; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data and operating machines; work has frequent exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. recreation center).