SYSTEMS ENGINEERAdd to Favourites
As part of a converged Infrastructure team, the Systems Engineer works together with the other network and system administrators to support the College’s IT infrastructure -- including servers, storage/virtualization, application edge, disaster recovery/backup services, network, and security elements. The Systems Engineer is specifically responsible for installation, monitoring, maintenance, upgrade, and support of the campus systems infrastructure, including server/storage infrastructure (production and failover VM environments and storage arrays), backup systems and processes, and server builds/maintenance on Linux and Windows. This position is responsible for providing system/application administration for certain campus services, middleware tiers (including load balancing and web servers), and other infrastructure.
The Systems Engineer will architect and lead the Infrastructure team’s use of public cloud services such as Azure and AWS, including leveraging APIs and similar capabilities to improve provisioning, deployment and maintenance of servers across on-premises and cloud tiers. The position will also serve as the lead administrator for Linux and will maintain Davidson’s Ansible and Satellite infrastructure services for automated build of Linux and Windows servers, and for patching Linux systems.
As a member of the T&I team, the Systems Engineer is expected to uphold the department’s mission to “drive digital transformation that advances Davidson’s primary purpose” and contribute positively to a culture of collaboration, transparency, empathy, innovation, and accountability within T&I.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead projects and operational activities to modernize T&I infrastructure through automation and orchestration.
- Build, maintain, patch and update servers and systems applications on Linux and Windows, including zero-day/time sensitive response to security vulnerabilities.
- Lead infrastructure engineering efforts to leverage APIs, public cloud, and open architectures to make T&I infrastructure and systems highly available, flexible and frictionless. Implement solutions to migrate DR/failover and production infrastructure to IaaS (AWS, Azure, etc.) where appropriate.
- Maintain and improve Davidson’s automation/orchestration environment (Ansible and Satellite) for automated build of Linux and Windows servers
- Assist in supporting server infrastructure including hypervisors, storage arrays, backup clients/targets, and other infrastructure required to support T&I services.
- Support middleware services including web application tiers, load balancing/reverse proxy technologies, web application firewall, VPN/secure application access, and identity/access management.
- Provide support for campus-based applications and systems (including application and file servers, Active Directory, DNS/DHCP, web servers, campus card, printing and LMS environments).
- Support services related to authentication and security, including SSO technologies (Azure AD, ADFS, CAS/Shibboleth, SAML2, etc.), SSL certificates, etc.
- Maintain current knowledge of best practices and future trends in enterprise applications and participate in user communities, professional associations, and conferences to share expertise and learn from others.
- Prepare and provide status, activity, project updates and reports, and other communications to T&I leadership and campus constituents, as needed or requested.
- Assist in coordination as needed with outside providers.
- Associates degree in Information Technology, Bachelor’s degree preferred, and four to five years of relevant work experience in system administration/programming.
- Experience managing and supporting Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (and earlier versions) and derivatives such as CentOS, including developing system and configuration baselines, maintaining secure patch levels, and working with application teams to diagnose server problems.
- Knowledge of one or more scripting technologies (PowerShell, Python, bash, etc.) and demonstrated ability to use these for automation, orchestration, or DevOps environment support.
- Experience using or supporting public cloud (AWS, Azure) infrastructure, technologies and capabilities.
- Work experience supporting middleware technologies such as load balancers (Citrix, F5, NGINX, etc.), web server tiers (IIS, Apache/Tomcat, WebLogic, etc.)
- Strong project management skills, with documented experience conceiving/proposing, championing, and leading significant technology projects that advance the state of infrastructure or architecture within an organization.
- Ability to troubleshoot and interact effectively with vendor support offerings.
- Ability to balance system security with the needs of a variety of stakeholder needs.
- A ‘can-do’ attitude to challenges; energized by change and thriving in team-based work.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and customer service skills and ability to establish good working relationships with a wide range of people within an academic community.
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Masters or advanced degree in computer engineering or computer science, and/or additional years’ relevant work experience beyond the minimum level.
- Experience working with Ansible or Ansible Tower, or an equivalent platform (such as Chef or Puppet).
- Experience working with Red Hat Satellite patch/configuration management.
- Understanding of storage area networks and replication/backup solutions. Experience with file operations and file storage (such as CIFS, NFS, NIS, Samba, and iSCSI).
- Knowledge of VMWare ESX (preferred) or other virtual server environments.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows Server 2012/2016 including core system administration capabilities.
- Familiarity with Cisco UCS computing hardware and other sub-operating system (firmware, ILO, etc.) tiers of data center technologies
- Demonstrated experience using public cloud (AWS, Azure) technologies including techniques for interleaving cloud resources with premises-based infrastructure (e.g., cloud APIs and other programmable interfaces, techniques for scaling out resources due to elastic demand, use of cloud for DRaaS/backup as a service approaches, etc.)
- Previous experience in higher education and familiarity with its common academic and business processes, or its enterprise systems (such as Ellucian Banner)