ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF RESIDENCE LIFEAdd to Favourites
The Associate Director of Residence Life assists in the leadership of the Residence Life program at Davidson College, primarily through the direct supervision of four full-time, live-in Master’s level professional staff and indirect supervision of 70 student staff members. The Associate Director partners with the Assistant Dean/Director of Residence Life and the entire residence life team to foster an inclusive, celebratory, and student-learning centered environment that actively works to promote a welcoming, socially just environment for all people. The Associate Director serves as a leader, manager, and front-line responder in campus emergency situations and works closely with a diverse student population. Significant interaction with campus office partners is required. The Associate Director of Residence Life is a 12-month, live-off position and is required to work some non-traditional hours, including some nights and some weekends.
The following are the key responsibilities of the position:
- Directly supervise four full-time, live-in Master’s level professional staff members, including recruiting, hiring, training, professionally developing and evaluating
- Indirectly supervise approximately 70 paraprofessional student staff members, including the development of outcomes-based recruitment, hiring, training, and evaluation
- Coordinate a curricular-based programming model for the residence halls
- In conjunction with Associate Dean of Students, coordinate conduct process for department and institution
- Respond to student issues and provide student support through counseling and mediation
- Serve as a member of the Dean of Students professional staff on-call system and manage the incident reporting process and communicate to appropriate staff for follow-up
- Assist with all aspects of the opening and closing of the residence halls and participate in various departmental operations including the Lottery process and first-year roommate pairing and assignments
- Represent the Residence Life Office in the absence of the Assistant Dean/Director
- Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel Services, Education Leadership, or related field.
- Minimum of seven years of related experience.
- A high degree of judgment, as well as excellent interpersonal and written communication skills and problem-solving and reasoning skills, including the ability to work effectively with individuals from underrepresented groups with understanding and sensitivity to experiences of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to gather, assemble, analyze, and evaluate facts, evidence, data and other information in order to draw reasonable and fair conclusions and make sound decisions.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and to handle sensitive subject-matter objectively and with sensitivity and discretion.
- Ability to work independently and to manage multiple projects effectively.
- Candidates who have a solid understanding of student learning and development, diversity and social justice issues, and know how to lead in and contribute to an inclusive work environment.
- Candidates with a proven record of residence life, housing, student staff development and training experience.
- Candidates with proven track record of supervision of various levels of staff.
- Candidates with experience in resolving conflict, team building, and group dynamics.
- Candidates with computer skills and knowledge of various software programs (preferably The Housing Director and Maxient).
Work Environment: The Residence Life Office at Davidson College consists of a team of competent professionals who are committed to student learning and care about students and each other. The staff includes an Assistant Dean / Director, Associate Director, Assistant Director, Housing Operations Coordinator, Facilities and Budget Coordinator, three Area Coordinators, and roughly 70 student staff members. The Associate Director position reports to the Assistant Dean of Students/Director of Residence Life and is an integral part of the RLO team called upon to assist in all areas of the program. Hours are non-traditional and some weekend work is required.
Position Start Date: Negotiable. July 1 preferred.
The College: Founded by Presbyterians in 1837, Davidson College is a private, coeducational, selective liberal arts college with an enrollment of 1,950 students and a four-year on-campus residency requirement. Admission is highly selective, focusing on the challenge of the high school curriculum. The first-year to sophomore retention rate is 95% and the students with abroad experience by graduation is 76%. Students of Color make up 25% of the student body. International students make up 5.9% of the student body. About 65% of Davidson students are affiliated with a fraternity, sorority, or a women’s eating house (local sorority). Davidson College’s has an Honor Code which serves as a central philosophy to campus life, ensuring academic integrity and providing the foundation for the open environment in which Davidson students live and study. Nearly one quarter of Davidson students compete in Division I athletics and 80% of Davidson students study or work internationally during their Davidson career. Davidson College uses a need-blind admission process and a commitment to meet 100% of demonstrated financial need of accepted students through a combination of grants and campus employment without relying on loans to sustain a diverse academic community. The campus is 450 acres with 60 buildings (18 residence halls), plus 106 acres on Lake Norman offering water sports.
The Area: Davidson is located 20 miles north of Charlotte, North Carolina on Lake Norman. The town has a small-town atmosphere, and larger towns are within a few minutes’ drive. The area is very accessible to nearby attractions (Blue Ridge Mountains, 3 hours; Research Triangle, 2 hours; Atlantic Ocean, 4 hours).